Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Yarn Bee Icelandic Jewel


My son has been asking me for months to make him a scarf. I was never sure of what kind of yarn to use. I knew I wanted something machine washable, colorful but not too much since he is a little boy, and something...chunky. So, I went to Hobby Lobby (surprise, surprise) and I purchased him some really great Yarn Bee Icelandic Jewel Yarn in Sapphire.

This scarf is a K2 P2 rib with a small hole in it (yes on purpose) so it wont fall off his little neck when he is running or whatever. It was a really fast knit and I would totally make another one...maybe with some wrist warmers to match!

Yarn: Less than 1 Ball Yarn Bee Icelandic Jewels in Sapphire

Needle: size 9 US

Size: Toddler

Cast On 20
K2 P2 across, turn and repeat until scarf measures about 12 inches.
At 12 inches starting at the beginning of the row, K2 P2 two times (eight stitches) then bind off four stitches, then K2 P2 to the end of the row; turn

*at this point you can make the hole larger if you want to work both sides of the hole separately for a couple of rows.

Meaning you place one side of the work on a stitch holder, work the other side of the hole in the k2 P2 pattern for four rows, then you place those stitches on a stitch holder. Then put the stitches on the other side of the hole onto the needle and work the K2 P2 pattern for four rows. If you have gotten this far from my directions you are pretty good because I think I have confused myself. After both sides of the hole are worked for four rows continue to follow the instructions below to close the hole...the choice is yours*

K2 P2 two times (eight stitches) then cast on four stitches (the backward loop is what I used), K2 P2 to end of row; turn
K2 P2 for each row until scarf measures approx. 36 inches (check your scarf to make sure that when the end in tucked into the hole the sides are even that way you won't have one side longer than the other...if your are lucky the little person you are making it for will model for you while the scarf is still on the needles) and bind off all stitches.

Let me know if you make this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sooo super cute and i love that adorable look on his sweet little face.